5.20.2013

Secret Recipe Club: Cookie Brittle

Hello, my SRCers [and other lovely readers]!

I can't believe another month has already gone by.  I feel like I just wrote up my last SRC post...

But I can't complain, this club is oh-so-fun and I absolutely love being introduced to new blogs.  It's always a treat to browse through their array of recipes and see all of the different styles of bloggers out there.  It's a 'small' community but yet we are each so vastly different.  Gotta love it.


Which brings me to my May assignment, Creative Kitchen Adventures.  Remember how said we are so incredibly different?  Well point in case right here!

LSM is all about the sweet treats, right?  Let's see how much butter and sugar we can pack into one pan and hopefully no one will notice.  But Creative Kitchen Adventures lies on the opposite end of the spectrum.  In an extremely good and healthful way though.  I could take a couple notes from this blog...

Denise, the author of Creative Kitchen Adventures, is much like me in that she is a self taught cook [except I bake!] and she started her blog as a way to keep track of all of the recipes she was trying.  But while Denise is also a mother, she does put a certain focus on bringing healthy meals to her family using wholesome ingredients (e.g., she tries to stay away from processed foods).  But what I think is unique and genuine about Denise's goals is that she's not an 'all or nothing' type of person.  So though she gravitates towards healthful recipes, there's definitely a fair share of sweet treats on her blog [which of course I love!].  And I think it's great that she doesn't deprive her family, one would only think that would lead to some disasters later in life.  Or at least that's what I tell myself when I'm eating pans of brownies...

My brother's commissioning was this last weekend [details and pics to come!] so I made the Cookie Brittle for everyone to snack on.  Uh, it was gone in 15 minutes.

Anywho.  So what recipes of Denise's caught my eye?!  More like what didn't...but here are some of my favs: Mexican Omelette, Bruschetta Pizza, Bacon-wrapped Dates, and Flourless Chocolate Brownie Cookies.  And I'd just like to throw it out there that I've had Bacon-wrapped Dates before and they are quite possibly heaven on Earth.  No joking whatsoever.  And I can only imagine that Denise's version is absolutely scrumptious and addicting!

But this month, curiosity completely got me.  Cookie Brittle?  What?!  First, I didn't have a clue as to what the recipe would turn out like but I couldn't resist trying it out because Denise labeled it as a 'Christmas Favorite.'  Uh, who can turn down a Christmas favorite?  For reals...

And now I know why Denise and her loved ones adore this treat so very much.  It's addicting.  You know those snacks you can't stop nibbling on despite the fact that you're not even hungry?  Yeah, definitely did that with this one.  And I'm not ashamed.


The 'cookie' part of this recipe is just that, it very much resembles a buttery shortbread with a generous helping of rich chocolate chips mixed throughout.  And a lovely topping of chopped walnuts tops off this cookie just perfectly.

I'm not quite sure how it happens, but the brittle pieces comes during the baking process.  If you watch closely, the butter creeps its way to the top of the cookie, enveloping the walnuts and creating a crisp exterior resembling well...brittle.  You know that crunchy, caramely treat?  Yep, it's now in cookie form.

And to make it a true replica, the sheet of cookie brittle is broken into random sized pieces perfect for plopping into a bowl and setting out for all to munch.  Forget Christmas time, this is an all-year-round delight!

Thanks again, Denise, I love the simplicity and deliciousness of this recipe and I wouldn't have found it without you!  Until next month!  .


From Creative Kitchen Adventures
Ingredients:
1 c. butter, softened
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt
1 c. sugar
2 c. all purpose flour
8 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
1-1/2 c. chopped walnuts
Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 375F.  In a large bowl, cream together on medium speed butter, vanilla extract, and salt, until combined.  Add sugar and flour and beat until just combined.  Stir in chocolate chips.
  2. Press batter into a cookie sheet (about 1/2- to 1-inch thickness; batter won't take up the entire sheet).  Sprinkle top with walnuts.
  3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned.  Let cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before breaking into pieces. 
Yield: 40 pieces

post signature

12 comments:

  1. Cookie brittle sounds so cool! I'd love to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look amazing! They seem like a fairly simple cookie too that I could get the kids to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookie brittle, they look a bit like those Lacey cookies I've seen around, but yummier :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made cookie brittle before, but it sounds DELICIOUS!!!! Looks like the perfect sweet treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, please! This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am intrigued by this cookie brittle, sounds so unique. I will definitely be trying it out soon, it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks divine! Glad to be part of SRC group C with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen cookie brittle on a blog besides my own and this one's totally different! I love it-will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cookie brittle? Wow...they look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww....you're so sweet! What an awesome write up! I knew when I read the words "cookie brittle" it had to be from my blog. I'm so glad you chose them, and now adore them too. They are SO easy to whip up (that's dangerous) and you don't even have to have eggs in the house. Mmm...now I'm craving some!! I don't think my girls would mind at all if I went home and baked some up. ;)

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll take cookies any way I can get it! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talk about creative - love the idea of cookie brittle!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: