4.17.2013

Brownie Fantasy Bars

.  And the chaos continues.

I'm not really sure how it's happened but the next month or two of my life is jam packed with events, including babies, weddings, and a special baking opportunity I'll fill you in on later.


It's all very exciting but a touch overwhelming when you throw in the fact that I work 8-5 err'day.  And 99% of the time, work is on my mind anyway.  Boo.  But I can't complain, none of these upcoming things are obligations, so it should all be fun-filled...I hope.

But one thing I am uber excited about is the trip to Colorado Robbie and I will be making this weekend.  In our typical fashion, this trip was decided upon maybe last week and we're setting out for the beautiful mountains Friday after work.  Word has it [and the Weather Channel confirms] that Colorado is filled with massive amounts of snow, and though I'd like to get away from this winter-weather-in-spring climate, I can never get enough of the Colorado scenery.  So give it to me.


But before we head off, I figured one last treat was in order.  And this is one monstrous dessert, comparable to the mountain slopes I'll be hittin' in a few days.  And I'm fo reals...no joking here.  This is easily the thickest and most decadent bar I've made to date.  Brace yourselves.

Brownie Fantasy Bars are pretty much that.  One big fat fantasy of a baked goodie.  Not just one, but two batters are somewhat swirled together and absolutely stuffed with crunchy rice cereal, gooey marshmallows, rich semisweet and milk chocolate chips, chewy dates, decadent Oreo cookies, nutty walnuts, and a trio of baking chips topping.  


Whoa.

Now I know what you're thinking, how could all of those things really come together to make an unforgettable bar?  Well...how can they not?!

Trust my taste buds, which have sacrificed themselves for the better of the baking community and tested more cookies and bars than I care to even admit.  These are legit.  And you.  will.  love them.

Have a wonderful rest of the week my dearest readers, until Monday!  .

Adapted from A Passion for Baking

Ingredients:
Blondie Batter:
3/4 c. unsalted butter, melted
1-1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Brownie Batter:
1 c. unsalted butter, melted
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. all purpose flour
2 c. rice cereal
1 c. mini marshmallows
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 c. milk chocolate chips
1 scant c. chopped dates
2 c. chopped Oreo cookies
1 c. chopped walnuts

Topping:
1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 c. butterscotch chips
1/4 c. white chocolate chips

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 325°F.  Generously spray 13x9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
  2. For the blondie batter, blend butter and brown sugar.  Mix in eggs and vanilla extract.  Fold in flour, baking powder, and salt to make a soft batter.  Set aside.
  3. For the brownie batter, combine butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and flour and mix well.  Fold in cereal, marshmallows, semisweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, dates, Oreos, and walnuts, using a large spatula or wooden spoon.
  4. Place the brownie batter into the prepared pan and use wet hand to spread the batter evenly.  Spoon the blondie batter over the brownie mix and spread evenly.  Using the handle of the spatula or a knife, marbleize the two batters by using up and down motions with the handle.
  5. Bake 45 minutes or until set and spots of the blondie batter seem set and slightly browned. Immediately sprinkle on the semisweet, butterscotch, and white chocolate chips and smear with a knife as chips melt.  Refrigerate two hours before cutting.
Yield: 2 dozen bars
post signature

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, these brownie bars look incredible! I think I can handle all of this richness!!! I love this kind of dessert. Straighforward in chocolate and gooiness and more chocolate! :) Have fun on your trip!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: