2.07.2013

Fudgey Cosmic Brownies


.  It's safe to say that this is the first time I have ever gotten a holiday recipe out to you earlier than the day of the actual holiday.  Mmhmm.  I feel accomplished.  And like a planner.

If you are one of those who browse other blogs [my hand is raised high!], then you undoubtedly have seen a slew of Valentine's Day recipes, including comforting savory dishes and of course: chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.  So why not add to the mix?  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

But these aren't just your good ol' classic brownies.


Nope, not even close.  These fudgey-wudgey brownies were molded after our childhood favorite Cosmic Brownies.  You know, those two-brownie packs that we all took to elementary school and chowed on during snack time?  Okay, maybe that was only me.  And I'm not kidding.  My mom used to get the brownies with nuts on them though, and I would meticulously pick them off every time.  Every.  Time.  She never got the hint though.

But regardless, that never stopped me from eating those decadent, chewy, chocolate-frosted brownies.  And this recipe is a spot on knock off.  In the best way possible, that is.


Seriously, these brownies are addicting.  Outrageously rich and uber fudgey brownies.  Accompanied by a simple yet luscious and smooth chocolate ganache.  They're that unique brownie recipe you're always searching for but never find.  But you can thank me later.  After you eat your fair share of the pan, of course.  And don't forget to give a bite or two to your Valentine...

Speaking of Valentine's Day, anyone have lovey dovey plans yet?!  I'll actually be in New York City [woop, woop!] for the special day but I ain't complainin.'  Matter of fact, I can't wait for the next two weeks to get over with.  I know, live in the moment.  But c'mon, it's NYC!  More to come on that though as my trip nears.  I'l try to keep my excitement to a minimum...maybe  .

My Notes:
  • I loved the deep, dark chocolate flavor of these brownies.  But if you're not a dark chocolate fan, I would opt to switch out the bittersweet chocolate in the ganache with something a bit lighter, such as semisweet chocolate.  
  • You may notice I don't have any sprinkles on my brownies [cosmic, my butt], but that's because I only had Christmas-colored sprinkles at my house and those were just not appropriate.  Next time I'll be more prepared.


Ingredients:

Brownies:
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. light brown sugar
3/4 c. unsalted butter, melted
2 tbsp. milk
2 eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 tsp. espresso powder
1-1/3 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

 Ganache:
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
7 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Pinch of salt

Sprinkles, nuts, etc. (optional for topping)

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 350°F.  Lightly spray a 13x9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, light brown sugar, melted butter, milk, vanilla extract, and espresso powder.  Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.  Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.  Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
  3. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with only a few moist crumbs (try to avoid over baking!).  Remove brownies from oven and let cool
  4. Meanwhile, for ganache, place chopped chocolate into a small bowl.  In a small saucepan,  bring heavy whipping cream to a simmer.  Pour the heavy whipping cream over the chocolate and sprinkle with salt.  Let the chocolate sit in the cream for 3 to 5 minutes and then using a small whisk, stir the chocolate until mixture is smooth.
  5. Spread the ganache evenly over the brownies.  Sprinkle ganache with your choice of toppings, if using.  Refrigerate brownies until completely cooled before serving.
Yield: 2 dozen brownies

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Cannot wait to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! We took Cosmic brownies in our lunches too! These look so moist and fudgy! Can't wait to try them. Thanks so much for linking up to our Strut Your Stuff Saturday! These brownies will be a hit!!! -The Six Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful! I found you from Flour Me With Love's link party and I'll be pinning!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: