9.23.2011

White Chocolate Banana Cupcakes

. Remember how I said I went home this last weekend for my best friends' wedding shower and bachelorette party?  Well that meant Robbie was home all by his lonesome.  Sad, huh?  Fortunately he had a work BBQ last Friday, so that kept him occupied for at least one of the nights.  But that also meant that before I left, I had to make something for him to contribute to the festivities!  And yes, I had to because Robbie offered up my services and then asked if I could make something.  Funny how that works...

Anywho, I had a couple bananas left over from my attempt at trying out some wedding cupcakes last week [that didn't happen though because the groom was going to be out of town and I didn't realize that!].  So instead of letting those lovely, ripened bananas go to waste, I perused my recipes for anything banana.  And settled upon these.


The complete recipe for this treat [and they are a treat!] comes from two different sources, the cupcakes are from The Craft of Baking while the cream cheese frosting is adapted from More from Magnolia.  The combination of the white chocolate and banana-ey flavors are exactly what you're thinking.  PHENOM!  That's what you were thinking, right?

The cupcakes themselves are just like banana bread but much lighter in texture.  More of a fluffy cake then the dense loaf we're used to.  The cupcakes are also outrageously moist from the second they come out of the oven.  And you guessed it, they only get more flavorful as the time passes. 


The white chocolate cream cheese frosting is oh-so-yummy as well.  Thick, smooth, and the absolute perfect compliment to the banana cupcake.  The flavor of the frosting isn't overpowering whatsoever, really letting the naner's shine.  Yes, I just typed 'naners .

My Notes:
  • The cupcake batter will be very runny, but don't fret, it's supposed to be!
  • Make sure to buy good quality white chocolate (e.g., Lindt, Ghirardelli, Guittard).  I didn't buy the best bar because there was only one option at the grocery store I was at, but next time I will definitely go somewhere that I can get a nice brand.
  • The original recipe for the frosting did not include any powdered sugar.  But both Robbie and I felt like the frosting needed a little something to bring out the white chocolate flavor and I think the addition hit the nail on the head.  But you can always leave it out, too!



Ingredients:
Banana Cupcakes:
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. grapeseed oil
3/4 c. mashed bananas (about 2 medium)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. buttermilk
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. plus 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz. quality white chocolate, chopped
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 (8 oz. each) packages cream cheese
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. powdered sugar

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 350.  Line standard 12-cup muffin tin with liners.

2.  In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar and oil.  Whisk in bananas, egg, egg yolk, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.


3.  In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt.  Using a whisk, mix the flour mixture into the banana mixture just until combined.


4.  Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.


5.  Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.  Transfer cupcakes to wire rack to cool completely.


6.  For frosting, place the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and melt in microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring in between.  Set aside to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.


7.  In a medium bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese together until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla extract and beat until combined.  Add the melted white chocolate and beat until well combined.  Add powdered sugar and beat on low speed until well combined.


9.  Frost cupcakes as desired.



Yield: 1 dozen cupcakes

8 comments:

  1. These do look wonderful. I like the fact that these are lightly iced so you can see part of the top of the cupcake. That part does reveal that this is a really moist cupcake. The white chocolate frosting is a nice change from the standard buttercream. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to taste that white chocolate buttercream. It looks delicious. I'll bet the combination is bananas and white choc is great. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be right over. Those look good enough to eat. he he
    All your photos are gorgoues and make them look even better! Visiting from Six Sister's stuff. Off to look at your other recipes =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tina Thanks so much, I really appreciate it! These were fun to make and decorate and the combination was great!

    @Shannon@FoxHollowCottage Oh wow, thanks!! Hope you liked the stuff you browsed through :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I love white chocolate and banana. I'll have to try these. I just found you through Something Swanky and I'm a new follower!

    I host a weekly linky also and would love for you to join sometime! (Crazy Sweet Tuesday)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing! I'm a big white chocolate fan so this really caught my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a yummy combination!! So luscious looking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so yummy cakes I really enjoy to make it thanks for sharing the recipes

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: