8.02.2011

Tried & True Tuesday: Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies

. Okay, short [but sweet] post!

After glancing through my last seventeen few posts, I've noticed a heavy trend of fruit.  And that is obviously expected, since it's fruit season insanity and I can't resist walking past ripe, seasonal produce.  Oh, sidenote: I hit the jackpot at the Farmer's Market this last weekend and made a wooooonderful coffee cake.  So come back around later this week.  Just saying.

But back to the point of this post.  To break up the beautiful monotony of my fruity posts, I decided to throw in a little chocolate-peanut butter combo.  And we all know that is simply unbeatable.

So let me introduce the oh-so-wonderful Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies from Martha Stewart.  These little cake sandwiches are pure deliciousness, let me tell you.  The peanut butter buttercream filling is uber creamy and, of course, peanut buttery.  The filling in itself is addicting, I'm warning you now that you will be tempted [and will give in] to dipping those little fingers into the bowl a time or two.  I, of course, had extreme will power but...just kidding!  I had no what we call 'willpower', nor do I ever when it comes standing in the kitchen with batters and frostings galore.  But I'm willing to sacrifice myself for the betterment of baking.  Betterment?  Yes.

Alright and super short post turned into a regular one.

Now back to these whoopie pies.  The filling is then sandwiched between two soft, decadent rounds of chocolate cake.  Perfect little items to fulfill that chocolate peanut butter fix.  And since they're small, you can have a couple .


My Notes:
  • The directions below are for free form whoopie pies, but if you have a whoopie pie pan then you can also use that.
  • When I made these, I decided to make mini whoopie pies, which yielded about 30.  If you like this idea, simply drop scant teaspoons of batter onto baking sheets and bake the cakes for about 9 minutes.

Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies
From Martha Stewart


Ingredients:
Cake:
1-3/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/4 c. vegetable shortening
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 c. whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Peanut Butter Buttercream:
2/3 c. creamy peanut butter
8 tbsp. unsalted butter
3/4 c. powdered sugar
Salt (optional)

Directions:
  1. Heat oven to 375°F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.  Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in small bowl; set aside.
  2. Add butter, shortening, sugar, and dark brown sugar to in bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment; cream on high speed until smooth (about 3 minutes).  Add egg, beat until pale and fluffy (about 2 minutes).  Add half of flour mixture, then milk and vanilla extract; beat until well combined.  Add remaining flour mixture and beat together.
  3. Drop 12 slightly rounded tablespoons of batter 2 inches apart on baking sheets.  Bake 10 minutes in upper and lower thirds of oven; switch positions and rotate.  Continue baking 2 to 4 minutes or until cakes spring back when touched.  Let cool on baking sheets (about 10 minutes).  Transfer to wire rack to let cool completely.
  4. For filling, cream peanut butter and butter in medium bowl on high speed.  Reduce mixer to low speed and mix in powdered sugar until combined.  Beat mixture on high speed until fluffy and smooth (about 3 minutes).  Add salt to taste.
  5. Spread scant 1 tablespoon peanut butter buttercream on half of cookies.  Top with remaining cakes.
Yield: 1 dozen whoopie pies

7 comments:

  1. PB is my favorite ingredient and is good on anything!! These look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jess @ Blonde Ponytail I'm right there with you, PB is too addicting! If I ever get my life back, I can make a batch of these for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really happy I found your blog, and am totally impressed at how all of your recipes look exactly how you'd want them to look. These look great, I'd also like to try your NYT chocolate chip cookies...once I get some cake flour in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You get a super YUM from me for this post. I'm following you from Recipe Sharing Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kim That's so nice of you, thanks so much! If you don't happen to have any cake flour, you can substitute 3/4 cup all purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch for every 1 cup of cake flour. Just a tip I've used in the past!

    @Moogie That's great! Thanks for the add!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling idea! I am a PB/Choc fanatic myself. These are being added to my 'to make' list. Thanks - feel free to stop by my blog and enter a giveaway I've got going on...www.thebetterbaker.blogspot.com/2011/08/500-fans-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. @The Better Baker It's an irresistible combination! Let me know if you try these out, I'd love to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: