8.04.2011

Blackberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake



. Remember how I mentioned that I hit the jackpot at the local farmer's market this last weekend?  Well, take a glance at the picture above and just try to tell me different.  I know, you can't do it.  It's okay, it happens.

I couldn't tell you how many visits to the Saturday farmer's market I've made over the past couple of years.  Too many to count, I would say.  But do you also remember my gripe regarding the lack of local fruit in this darn state?!  Well last weekend, this all changed.


As I was making the final round with Ollie, perusing the lovely produce (i.e., veggies, veggies, and more veggies), I was pretty much ready to head out empty handed.  But then the heavens ascended upon Nebraska!  As I was walking by a tiny little booth, with a banner that said they hailed from Iowa (go figure!), I spotted three clear containers of BLACKBERRIES!  And not just blackberries, but gigantic, juicy blackberries!  I quickly whipped out some mula and snagged one of the final pints of blackberries.  The lady probably thought I was a tad crazy, I can guarantee my eyes were glittering as I paid for those little berries.

I'm not really sure why, maybe because I don't have many blackberry recipes, but I knew exactly what I wanted to make with my purchase.  I'd had this Blackberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake bookmarked for quite some time and knew it was going to be a winner.  And oh was it!  And I say 'was' because Robbie and I polished off this breakfast goodie in less than three days.  Aaand I'm going to go for an hour run now...


I've made a few coffee cakes in my day and this is by far a top, top recipe.  It's that good, I tell ya!  This treat begins with a layer of a soft white butter cake, followed by a deeee-lish cream cheese filling, which is then followed by the sweet-but-tart blackberries, and finished with a scrumptious cinnamon streusel.  Four layers of heaven and can you believe we can call this breakfast?!  You're welcome .


My Notes:
  • Don't be turned off by the slightly longer ingredient list, this coffee cake is super simple to assemble and is more than worth the couple steps.  Belieeeeeeve me!
  • Feel free to substitute any kind of berry for the blackberries.  Or if you don't have any fruit around, you can also use 1/2 cup of your favorite preserves.

Blackberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake


Ingredients:
Streusel:
1/3 c. all purpose flour
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 c. cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Cream Cheese Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 c. sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
1 tbsp. all purpose flour

Cake:
1 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 c. sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 c. milk
1 c. fresh blackberries

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 350°F.  Butter 9-inch spring form pan and line bottom with parchment paper; set aside.


2.  For topping, mix together flour, sugar and ground cinnamon in large bowl.  Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Set aside.



3.  For filling, beat cream cheese until creamy and smooth.  Add sugar, egg, vanilla extract, zest, and flour and beat until very smooth.  Set aside.



4.  For cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.

5.  In bowl of electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter.  Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.  Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.  


6.  Add flour mixture, alternately with milk, and beat only until combined.




7.  Spread batter onto bottom and slightly up sides of pan.  Spread cream cheese filling over batter.  Scatter with berries and top with streusel.





8.  Bake 60 to 70 minutes or until streusel is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.


Yield: 10 servings

20 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks light and rich all at the same time, plus, anything with blackberries has to be good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kristy {Sweet Treats and More} It is sooo very good, thanks for the comment!

    @Valerie That is actually a great description! All I know is that I couldn't stop munching on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious. This is my first time on your blog. I love it! I am happily following you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @The Slow Roasted Italian Thanks so much for the add, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Yes! & Yes! This dish is right up my alley - right into my mouth! Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @The Better Baker It's definitely a wonderful breakfast treat, especially with some fresh, ripe blackberries! Or any other fruit for that matter :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! Cream cheese filling is calling my name! This looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! Cream cheese filling is calling my name! This looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super Yum! This looks so delish! I am here from the Something Swanky Hop...Stumbled!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks amazing! Wish blackberries were in season here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love blackberry treats. Yum! Stumbled from Something Swanky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so yummy!!! I love blackberries- I am totally going to try this! Thanks for sharing! Stumbled from Something Swanky!
    Camille @
    SixSistersStuff.blogspot.com
    PS We have a link party every Saturday- we would love to have you come share some of your great ideas with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOULD LOVE A SLICE NOWWWWW! STUMBLED FROM SOMETHING SWANKY!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks amazing! Stumbled from Something Swanky.

    http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delish! Stumbled from SS
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just made this and it's too die for!! Pinned AND added to the cook book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just made this today and it was great! Used half the amount of butter in the streusel topping so it wasn't greasy. Also lower temp to 340 for dark pan and only bake 1 hr. Can use a few more blackberries if you want. Thank you for a delicious recipe!! Will definitely be making this again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have you ever frozen this? I would love to make up some holiday baking with my blackberries I got today!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have you ever frozen this? I would love to make up some holiday baking with my blackberries I got today!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: