7.19.2011

Tried & True Tuesday: Jammie Bodgers

. Okay, don't even ask where the name comes from because I have no clue.  Hey, I didn't name them, so don't blame me.  All I did was test out this recipe one summer and incidentally discovered a gem!

You've probably already read it once or twice on this blog, but my boyfriend and I used to play softball and baseball in college.  Yes, that's how it all began ☺  Anywho, every summer, the baseball guys are shipped off to different states and summer teams to play more baseball [as if the nine months school year isn't enough...].  Unfortunately, our very first summer apart, the boyfriend was in Joplin, Missouri.  We saw each other once that summer.  Once in the entire summer!  I mean give me a break here, at that point in time that summer seemed like forever.

The Happy Couple from 2007!

Fortunately, the boyfriend was able to get on a team in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, for the next two summers, which was only an hour away from where I lived.  Thank.  The.  Lord.  Which meant that we both made frequent visits [he more than I, now that I think about it] to see each other.

For most of my visits, I made a baked goodie [crazy, I know!] for the boyfriend and his host family.  And one of those treats happened to be these Jammie Bodger's, more of a random selection but scrumptious nonetheless.  I remember bringing them and the boyfriend letting me know after I left what a hit they were with the family.  And there's basically nothing to dislike about these except for the fact that the supply is not endless.  The cookies are soft and buttery, sandwiching a filling of your favorite jam flavor and a smooth buttercream.  Sounds simple enough, but the combination was really fantastic!

Hope everyone is having a faantastic week so far, it's been busy around our house but can't complain!  Until next post! .

Jammie Bodgers


Ingredients:
Cookie:
2 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. unsalted butter, chilled and diced
2/3 c. superfine (caster) sugar
1 egg yolk

Filling:
1/4 c. unsalted butter, room temperature and diced
1 c. powdered sugar
Jam, in your favorite flavor

Directions:
  1. For the cookies, put flour and butter in the food processor and process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs (if you don't have a processor, cut in the butter with your fingertips by rubbing the butter and flour together)..  Add sugar and egg yolk; process until mixture starts to form a dough.
  2. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.  Shape into ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
  3. Heat the oven to 350°F.  Grease two baking sheetsl set aside.
  4. Roll out dough thinly on a lightly floured surface and cut out rounds using 2-inch cookie cutter.  Place cut-outs onto baking sheets.  Re-roll trimmings and cut out additional rounds until you have 40 cut-outs.  
  5. Bake 12 minutes or until a pale golden.  Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
  6. For filling, beat together butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.  Spread a small amount of buttercream onto the underside of half of the cooled cookies and top the buttercream with a small amount of jam.  Top with second cookie to make sandwiches.  
Yield: 20 cookie sandwiches

6 comments:

  1. You two are the cutest!!!! See you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies look so yummy! I can see how they'd be incredibly addictive, too. It would be so easy to just grab one off the plate every time you pass through the kitchen. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You two are awesome and the cookies are yummy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Koci Oh I know, they are soo good! I had to drive for an hour with a plate of these next to me. Not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Fresh Garden Well thank you! And they are great cookies, I'd highly recommend them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look a great deal like the British cookies called Jammie Dodgers, FYI! Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: